Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Snakes in a Cave!

I got quite a bit done yesterday :)

Woke up and set out to see some sights, and started out at St Isvan's bazilika. These guys really appreciated his arm, and mummified it for safe keeping. The view from up top was awesome, and at some point I will for sure try to upload some photos. After that I walked over to their version of central park. It seems like everywhere has cool buildings surrounding where ever you turn! At one point I was walking down a main street and noticed an open door to the coolest run down building I've had a pleasure of walking into. My guess is it's so commonplace here that it's old news for local to see something like that. After that I met up a tour that was going on. CAVING TOUR! By far one of the cooler things I've done.

You get suited up, they give you a hard-hat and a guide, and you set off underground to the pitch black caves. We had a group of about 8 of us, and we were all up for going on the harder and longer route. It required a lot of army crawling, sliding, climbing, and squeezing your way through these little holes that at some points were so tight, you had to slowly wiggle your way through inch by inch. We saw a lot of fossils on the celling, and at one point turned our headlamps off to really appreciate the fact that it was pitch black down there. After a few hours of being in the caves, it was unfortunately time to resurface. Our guide was great, and I for sure see that being one of the main highlights of the country. Not something I expected to be doing in Budapest, that's for sure!

Some of the guys that were on the caving tour were staying at my hostel, so we all decided to shower up and get some dinner. After food, we met up with the rest of the hostel at a karaoke bar. The place was happening and we had a great time belting out songs together. Too bad for Budapest, we missed our karaoke slot and weren't able to sign back up. I have a feeling there will be more opportunities to get on the mic, so I'm not too worried about it. So after a full day of walking, caving, crawling, climbing, singing and dancing, it was definitely time for bed. Since I'm spending a little bit more time in one place than I ever have before, I don't feel rushed and I'm happy to report that I had my first full night of sleep :)

No comments: